Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Mapping the Benevolent Society of Tennessee

As I mentioned in a July 2017 post, I recently found a copy of the proceedings from the 1926 meeting of the Benevolent Society in Tennessee. One of the interesting pieces of information in that is the list of every lodge that existed in the state of Tennessee at that time.

Although this list does not show the street address for each lodge, it does list the town the lodge was located.  To that end, I created a simple Google map to gain a better understanding of the distribution of lodge locations in 1926.

Benevolent Society lodges in 1926. Courtesy of Google Maps.

As expected, the majority of lodges were located in Middle Tennessee. There were some surprises (such as lodges located in Dayton and Kingston).  I plan on doing more work to narrow down locations, if possible, but I think this is a useful tool for understanding the spread and scope of the group in 1926.

To see the full map, you can visit my map here.

3 comments:

  1. Is there any connection between the Benevolent Society you speak of, and the Social Benevolent Society? I recently interviewed the Rev. Arthur Becton regarding fife and drum picnics, and he brought up the Ellendale chapter of the Social Benevolent Society, which was Chapter No. 4. It owned the cemetery next to Fullview Baptist Church, and met at the church. It also sponsored picnics at a place called Easter Brown Grove, where a fife and drum band led by Lum Guffin provided the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not positive, but I don't think they are connected. I have seen references to other Social Benevolent Societies, and they seemed to have been primarily located in West Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proceedings are a great resource for sure

    ReplyDelete